Friday, August 12, 2011

Two things to worry about as our departure draws near.

We leave two weeks from today. There is a lot to be done. That doesn't scare me, I will do what I gotta do. I am filling up my basket of neurosis more quickly than my suitcases though. Filling it with the same two eggs every day.

1. The Dog
2. My Wisdom Teeth

I feel sorry for our wired haired little mutt Scrubby. Our departure is going to break his little rescue terrier heart. He is completely attached to me (is in fact curled up next to me while I write this.)

Although it was Sally who insisted she couldn't live without this dog a couple of years ago, it became the classic scenario - I'm the one who takes care of him and so he bonded most with me. When I leave to run errands, if I don't take him in the car with me. He sits and stares out the window, pining for me until I come home.

I overlook all of his horrible habits, limited intelligence, and social awkwardness. He appreciates my unconditional love and I am the center of his universe.

A big meatball with Scrubby written all over it, will be his when we return.

Second biggest neurotic thought on my mind: Actually, it is vision more than a thought. Me in some small town outside Des Moins, in an emergency wisdom tooth extraction surgery while my kids are left to fend for themselves in a small dated waiting room with nothing to eat for hours.

For 20 years, I have been advised to get my wisdom teeth pulled. This past January the dentist gave me a referral for an oral surgeon and gave a whole list of reasons, such as gum health, why my wisdom teeth really needed to be taken out. I had planned on doing it this summer.

To combat my neurosis, I have come up with a mantra. Repeating these words will help keep my mind from worrying and keep me centered on the less daunting thought: driving cross country with our 4 kids and being solely in charge of their education.

My dog is safe, my teeth are fine

Say it with me.











1 comment:

  1. When I went on my vacation, I had the same thought about Stella. I thought she was going to miss me like crazy! Truth is, when we pulled in from the airport she was more interested in what was in the back of the CRV than me!! No lie! Scrubby will survive. Like Tom Pike says, "He's a DOG!"

    ReplyDelete